Are you feeling hassle with your Windows Media center? Or, feeling bored with your limited feature media center software.Yes, the best solution for you is Kodi Linux. Kodi is the most popular open-source media center software which has unlimited features that you want.Before, move to Kodi Linux, please read the unique features of Kodi
Features of Kodi/Kodi Linux
- Kodi is a free and completely open-source media center software.You, don’t need to buy any license and extra hardware for it.
- It supports cross-platform operating system and devices.Such as, Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Android, iOS, Raspberry Pi and Others.Kodi has also an own Linux distribution which called Kodi Linux/Kodibuntu.
- Kodi has a huge amount of add-ons and repository which give you customize Kodi as you like
- Kodi is an all in one solution of playing local and online Videos, Musics and Streaming.You can also use a different number of program and themes in it.
- And finally, it is easy to setup and use
So, you see that Kodi is an all-in-all solution for you.Let’s start to install Kodi Linux.
- A PC with at least 1GB RAM or more
- A 64bit supported processor.32bit Not Supported
- Minimum 6GB Free HDD storage. 10GB is Recommended (For additional add-ons)
- Minimum Intel GMA 950 (945G) or ATI Radeon RV710/M92 (HD 4300/4500) Graphics Card.Intel GMA X4500HD (G45) or AMD/ATI Radeon HD 5000 Series is Recommended
- A DVD-RW for burning ISO or 4GB Pendrive for USB boot.You can read this article to boot your Kodi Linux from USB “The Ultimate guide to dual boot Linux with Windows 10/8/8.1”
- A Kodi Linux/Kodibuntu ISO file.You can download the latest stable version by clicking the button below
- An Active Internet Connection (Not for installation)
Difficulty Level: Beginner
Time: 15-20 Minutes
Before starting the installation, we need to burn the ISO.You can use Nero Burning Software, Power ISO, Ultra ISO or any other.Or, if you want to boot from USB, you can follow this tutorial by Click Here.My suggestion is that, please boot Kodi Linux from USB.Because, in this tutorial we use this method and it will be more comfortable, easy and cost effective for you.
- After preparing the Pendrive, boot your PC with USB.It will look like the screenshot
- You see that there are several option in this menu.If you want to try Kodi without installation, you can choose the first option.But, we select here direct/fresh install.
Note: Do not select Fixed DPI installation from here.It fixed the DPI of your graphics, which causes wrong graphics output
- After selecting “Install Kodibuntu” the installer will start.Select “Continue” to the next step.You can also choose the language from the left side.
- This is the configuration page.It shows that at least 5.6GB HDD storage needed to install Kodi, which is already available.An active internet connection already appears.It doesn’t matter if you don’t connect to the internet.So, click Continue for next page.
- Now, select the installation type from here.The first option is that you can Erase your exciting operating system (Windows, Ubuntu, Linux Mint etc) and install Kodi Linux.The second option is to partition you hard disk and Kodibuntu as an alternate operating system.So, select “Something Else” and click continue.
- Now we are in the main point.Here you can create, configure and delete partitions.You see that there is no partition on here.We will create new primary partition and swap drive.Click on the partition table and then click “New Partition Table“
- Click “Continue” for continue partition
- After that, you can see the storage has partitioned.But, it is not prepared for install Kodi Linux.We need to make a separate drive for Kodi and other for swap drive.So, click on the “free space” and then click “+” button to create a new partition.
- In the “Create Partition” dialog box, please follow the screenshot below.You must select the file system as “Ext4” and mount point as “/“, Otherwise your Kodi will not boot.After configuring the partition, press “Ok” for complete the process.
- We have created our desired drive.Now, we need a swap drive.So, select free space and click “+” button
- Now, select the drive space and select the file system as swap drive and click “Ok”
- We are ready for installation.Now, select the drive for installation and click “Install Now”
- Select the Time Zone and Click “Continue“
- Choose your desired keyboard and click “Continue“
- In this step give you personal information such Username, Password, Computer’s Name and click “Continue“
- This the installation page.Wait until the installation has complete and Restart your PC
- After your PC has restarted, you can find the Kodi Linux desktop front of you
This is the first part of this tutorial.Keep reading How To Use Linux
and get an update about the next part.The next part will be covered about configuring Kodi Linux
, solve internet connection problem, installing add-ons (Genesis, Super Repo, Youtube, Pandora, Sound Cloud etc) and many more.